Cotton, the fabric we all know and love, has a rich history in the world of textiles. Its lightweight and breathable properties have made it a popular choice for creating comfortable and stylish clothing options. But what about using cotton for suiting?
Let’s delve into the features that make the cotton suit a great choice, its seasonality, and some tips for styling it.
Depending on the weight of the fabric, a cotton suit can be worn in various seasons. While it can be suitable for year-round wear, we particularly love it as a transitional piece or during spring, summer, and autumn.
The lightweight and breathable nature of cotton keeps you cool and comfortable, making it ideal for everything from casual office dress codes, outdoor events, garden parties, weekend outings or even weddings with a casual dress code.
For the cooler seasons, you can go for a heavier weight cotton fabric that provides excellent drape and warmth. This is in fact the kind of fabric that David opted for; it is a 450gr cotton twill from Drapers.
Follow David on Instagram @admireroftheclassics
Like linen, cotton wrinkles a bit, but we believe this only adds to the suit’s charm and casually elegant vibe.
In terms of color, we love soft, earthy tones like the brown that David opted for. Other colors that would also look great include soft beiges, khaki, olive etc. However, feel free to explore the fabric books we have in our stores to gain more inspiration.
One of the key advantages of the cotton suit is its versatility in styling. Here are a few tips to maximize its potential:
- Break the suit into separates: Mix and match the jacket and trousers to create multiple outfits.
- Swap the shirt: While a crisp white shirt is a timeless choice that complements any suit, don’t hesitate to experiment with different options. Consider denim in off-white or various blue shades, seersucker for added texture, or a striped shirt to inject visual interest into the ensemble.
- Go tieless: For the ultimate casually stylish summer look, skip the tie and unbutton a few buttons on your shirt. This relaxed approach exudes effortlessness and is perfect for more laid-back occasions.
- Pair your summer cotton suit with loafers and accessorize: Complete your look with a pair of your favorite loafers and add a belt. These simple accessories can elevate the overall look and showcase your attention to detail.
- Complete your summer look with a knitted short sleeve polo shirt: This combination strikes the right balance between smart and casual and adds texture to the outfit.
- Style your heavy-weight winter cotton suit with knitwear for extra warmth and texture.
- For the most laid-back look, go for a white t-shirt and white sneakers.
The cotton suit offers endless possibilities for creating stylish and versatile outfits. Its ability to transition seamlessly between seasons and its inherent comfort make it a valuable addition to any wardrobe.